Many drivers wonder how to prepare for a road trip. It’s a big deal. You could be driving through mountains and deserts in some pretty lonely areas and may be anxious to know that the car is up to the task and won't leave you stranded.
Drivers really do need to plan ahead for a major road trip and there are a lot of things to get ready. Where should you start?
- Proper GPS navigation and a printed map for back-up.
- Water and snacks.
- Documentation (driver’s license, registration, insurance, etc).
- Cash for emergencies.
- Car chargers.
- A full tank of gas.
- Emergency Roadside kit (Including flashlight, jumper cables and a basic tool kit).
- Tires. Look them over for tread wear and check to see that they are properly inflated. Take a quick test drive to see if you can feel any vibrations. Are the wheels in balance? Is the car tracking straight? Is the alignment ok?
- Refill windshield fluid and check wiper blades.
- Full service oil change.
- Vehicle professionally inspected and repaired. Requests air filter, cooling system, timing and serpentines belts are all checked.
- Brakes. Have your brakes checked to ensure they have at least 50% functionality (preferably more) and have your brake pads professionally serviced or replaced if needed.
- Test the battery.
- A/C. Take a test drive with the air conditioner running. If you notice a decrease in cooling capacity, take the car to an auto repair shop for diagnosis.
Your friendly and knowledgeable pros at Eureka Brake & Automotive would be happy to get your vehicle ready for your next road trip. Plan ahead and give us a call! We want you to get there and back.
Eureka Brake & Automotive <br/>707.443.2122 <br/>www.eurekabrake.com
Revised from content contributed by NAPA Service Assistant