Being involved in a car accident can ruin a lot more than just your day. Consider these tips to make sure the damages aren't worse than you originally think:
1. Make sure everyone is ok, and call 911 to report the accident. Not only will this help in case of serious injury, but it will also enable official documentation - which may save you a lot of frustration and money later.
2. Stay put! Do not drive away even if you believe the damage is minor.
3. GET YOURSELF TO A SAFE PLACE
- Turn on your hazard lights and assess the scene.
- If your car is blocking traffic and you are able to safely drive it to the shoulder, doing so may prevent secondary collisions.
- If you ARE injured or if your car is totaled/smoking, seek immediate help for yourself. Leave your car where it is. Remember, for anything more contentious than a fender bender, police investigation work may be involved. In these cases, it’s probably best not to disturb evidence.
- If it’s dark outside and/or you are near a busy roadway, stand far away from moving cars. Get a flashlight from your glove compartment if you have one. Keep an eye on your vehicle (i.e. don’t walk away from the scene) to be sure no one is tampering with the car or the evidence.
4. Call your insurance agent to find out what information he/she needs. Listen to any advice based on their experience and based on your coverage and role in the accident.
5. Exchange insurance and contact information with the driver of the other vehicle. If you can, take your own photos of the scene and damage with your cell phone.
6. Follow the directions of your agent to file a claim, if necessary, and consider the repairs that might be needed. If your insurance agent tells you that you have to use a certain shop, check the laws in CA. Many states prohibit insurance companies from requiring you to use their contracted facility.
If you have any questions about vehicle repair after your accident, please call our professional service advisors at Eureka Brake & Automotive. We'll be happy to answer any of your questions.
Eureka Brake & Automotive <br/>707.443.2122 <br/>EurekaBrake.com
Revised from content contributed by NAPA Service Assistant